[kde-community] kde-community Digest, Vol 25, Issue 4

Boudhayan Gupta me at baloneygeek.com
Fri Apr 17 21:41:56 BST 2015

On 18 April 2015 at 00:38, Agustin Benito (toscalix) <abenito at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I support Alex here. That feature is a good one and I have used in the past
> many times.
>
> Regards
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 8:05 PM, Boudhayan Gupta <me at baloneygeek.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 18 April 2015 at 00:01, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
>> > From: Boudhayan Gupta <me at baloneygeek.com>

>> > do you mean the "section of window" ?
>> > I know many (non-geek) people who use that.
>> > At work we actually had to modify our (proprietary) application to make
>> > it
>> > work again (I think we turned all QMdiSubWindows into real X11 widgets
>> > by
>> > calling nativeParentWidget() or something like that), now they can again
>> > happily make screenshots of these windows for their presentations etc.
>> > IOW, it is a useful feature.
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >

>> Ah. In that case, I can probably import the code from KSnapshot. I'll
>> have a look later in the weekend.
>

> --
> Agustin Benito (toscalix)
> KDE eV member
> Profile: http://es.linkedin.com/in/toscalix

Well, if there's demand I guess I'll have to import this functionality.

However, this is probably going to be X11-only. This is likely going
to be impossible to do on Wayland, and I don't really know about
Windows. This was one of the main reasons I dropped it in the first
place. I'd been discussing this with mgraesslin over at IRC before
dropping it and he concurs - support for this grabber is going to
require a lot of ugly hacks to keep supporting even on X11, and
probably won't work as well as it used to (apparently back in the day
you could select individual buttons in the menu bar, but right now
you'll be lucky if it works at all in the Qt5/KF5 branch builds).

Another concern is licensing - the code implementing this grabber is
GPL, and the rest of the app is LGPL. It isn't major, but it would
mean changing KSG's license from LGPL to GPL as a whole if the code is
imported.

I'd still like to put my efforts into a improved rectangular crop
grabber (yeah, more effort on the users's part). I'm not saying no to
importing the "Section of Window" feature (in fact, I'll look at it
tomorrow itself), but well. If you guys are okay with it being
X11-only and "might not always work/may not be as granular as before"