[kde-community] stackexange site for krita

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed Feb 25 18:29:18 GMT 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> I would personally much prefer integrating this into the KDE
> infrastructure rather than KDE going to Stack Exchange:
> http://www.osqa.net/

Before people start claiming that it has not got so much activity as
of late, here can you find a more complete list of alternatives for
Stack Exchange. There are open source and hence free software
alternatives on the list.

http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/2267/stack-exchange-clones

Having said that, this is not my main issue with Stack Exchange. I
simply do not like many things about their vision, including, but not
limited to:

1) Not willing to remedy the problem about extremely low-quality content.

2) Unhealthy atmosphere by allowing downvotes as part of the
gamification without any reasoning. It encourages to do a kind of "you
suck" attitude without constructively explaining it.

3) Certain things are just far too locked down, like discussions
between the moderators and site owners about important decisions in
the community.

4) There is no healthy way of discussing the operation of the site
(no, meta is not).

5) They do not properly respect the license terms they were supposed to follow.

6) Sustainability for a free software project is rather questionable.
Remember what happened to the predecessor "expert exchange" ...

I could continue enumerating as I have so much thoughts about the
topic, but I will cut it here for now.

Overall, Stack Exchange could be harmful for the KDE project in my
opinion. This does not need to be taken lightly. I have spent my time
for 1-2 years helping users on Stack Exchange sites, days and nights,
but I have had a very different feeling to what free software project,
including Qt and KDE would be about.

I am sure KDE good take some good initiative to give some boost to the
free software world about the need of the "Q/A" technology by not
compromising free software in the first place.