[kde-community] stackexange site for krita

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 17:11:31 GMT 2015

On 02/25/2015 08:12 AM, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> I would personally much prefer integrating this into the KDE
> infrastructure rather than KDE going to Stack Exchange:
> http://www.osqa.net/

osqa.net looks good.

There's also an established service (answerhub.com/), which could be
implemented quickly...at a cost. They are kinda cute (maybe deceptive)
with their pricing guidelines, but apparently they are willing to
discuss charitable deals.

There's a comparison between OSQA and AnswerHub at
answerhub.com/answerhub-difference-osqa/
but there would need to be a decision about the importance of features
that are only available from the commercial AnswerHub.

> StackExchange is a commercial entity without open source accessbility
> to the implementation. Also, you need to comply with what
> StackExchange likes in the end of the day.

Reply to Boud's original message below.

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
>> This is a question that came up on the #krita channel today. Our forums are
>> awesome, but not the best place for question and answer type of exchanges.
>> We even see questions appear on yahoo answers!
>>
>> One proposal was to create a krita.stackexchange.com, like
>> http://blender.stackexchange.com/. However, this is infra that's outside of
>> KDE. I don't know of anything equivalent, though!
>>
>> So, what I wanted to get input on is: would creating a
>> krita.stackexchange.com be against the manifesto? And if so, is there any
>> equivalent (in terms of user-friendliness, googleability and
>> recognizability) that we can use withing KDE's infra structure?

StackExchange seems to conflict with...
"Online services associated with the project are either hosted on KDE
infrastructure or have an action plan that ensures continuity which is
approved by the KDE system administration team"

Hard to see how continuity would be ensured. Perhaps the continuity plan
could be to start on StackExchange, operate there until something could
be established within KDE's infrastructure. As a beginning Krita user, I
would greatly appreciate this kind of resource.

A Q&A capability would be helpful for other KDE technology as well.

Carl