[kde-community] KDE presence on Software Stores

Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer ojschmidt at kde.org
Sat Feb 14 23:22:17 GMT 2015

Am Samstag, 14. Februar 2015, 15:16:42 schrieb Aleix Pol:
> "I recommend licencing it under the normal KDE terms (GPL2+3+ev or
> GPL2+ see https://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy) plus the
> MPL if that's what is needed.  The MPL has a strange term 3.3 which
> allows you to convert it back to GPL so it's unlikely to be a problem
> should anyone take it straight from the Apple Store and make
> additions."
>
> This means that applications wanting to join the Apple App Store, will
> need more license fiddling. On Android this seems to be less of a
> problem.

I already wrote a reply to this on another mailing list, but let me repeat it
here so that is publicly available: For Qt-based software (which is almost all
of KDE) you also need to take the license of Qt itself into account.

This means either restricting yourself to those software stores that do not
actively fight against GPL and LGPL in their legal terms, or buying an
additional Qt license for every sale that is made via the non-free AppStore.

Best regards, Olaf