[kde-community] KDE presence on Software Stores

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Feb 14 00:06:57 GMT 2015

Dear KDE Community,
KDE software distribution on different platforms is a longstanding
issue, especially on the not-so-free platforms. It's a complex issue
that the KDE eV would like to see addressed. This is why we are
announcing a new initiative to help our software reach some of those
platforms.

First of all, we want to assure KDE is committed to Free Software. We
must ensure our software can be distributed on the distribution
methods the most loyal to Free Software philosophy (for example, see
[1]).

On the other hand we can't stop there. We make software for people and
and we need to be where people are. Thats why we decided to take a
step further and make sure we there are official KDE accounts present
on the different platforms' official software distribution channels,
starting with the Google Play Store and Apple's App Store.

This is an important step for KDE because it will open the possibility
to provide software for platforms we haven't really reached yet. It's
not about the platforms themselves, in fact it's about being able to
reach the users, who are there and should be able to take advantage of
the KDE software.

This is also a call for action, it's a new initiative and we need your
collaboration most of all. If you are a developer, consider adapting a
KDE application, if you are a designer, help us re-think the
applications for touch-based environments, if you are a systems
administrator, help us set up the infrastructures that we will need.

Initially I will be coordinating this effort so please feel free to
ask me if you have any question or comment and if you're willing to
help, please answer here or in private.

Best regards,
Aleix, with the KDE eV board

[1] https://fsfe.org/campaigns/android/liberate.en.html