[kde-community] Fundraiser money handling/redistribution - Re: KDE fundraisers and things we've learned

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Dec 30 19:14:40 GMT 2014

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> Because as i said, the world has a limited amount of money and so does the KDE
> eV.
>
> When project X asks money for itself instead of asking money for KDE eV, it's
> probable that if person Y donates, then person Y may not donate to general KDE
> eV fund raisers since he'll think (i already donated) so project X gets a
> donation and not the KDE eV.
>
> Then when project X does a sprint he is asking for funds that come from the
> KDE eV even if by running a "specialized fundraiser" it maybe made those funds
> to be smaller.

That's a logical error. It's just not true and it's certainly not
'provable'.

In the first place, there's no 'limited amount of money in the world' --
not since the first country went off the gold standard in any case.
There's plenty of money, we only have to find others than companies than
Nokia and Intel to give it to us.

So, in the second place, projects like GCompris and Krita actually do that
and reach beyond the usual reach of KDE as a free software umbrella
organization and bring in more money. It expands the pool from which we
fish, and may actually introduce new people to KDE...

This needs to be very clear, or otherwise all discussion is useless: a KDE
project doing a fund raiser does not steal money from KDE e.V.

If we as as community truly believes it does, it's time to add a rider to
the KDE manifesto forbidding KDE projects from doing fund-raising (and, I
guess, commercial involvement, since it's the same thing).

Boudewijn