[kde-community] RFC: Announcing new mailing lists

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Dec 21 11:34:00 GMT 2014

On Saturday, 2014-12-20, 21:21:01, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > El Dissabte, 20 de desembre de 2014, a les 22:19:35, Ben Cooksley va
escriure:

> >> In some instances, the creation of a new mailing list (like a
> >> bugs-dist list) would be noise.
> >> I'd be in favour of the requestor(s) announcing the new list though -
> >> so they could explain what the list would be used for.
> >>
> >> If sysadmin ends up doing it we'll likely be unable to provide as
> >> decent an explanation (as we're simply not as involved).
> >
> > But you're the only ones knowing that a mailing list has created. And as
> > far as i understand there's a description field asked when requesting a
> > list no? Could automatically send an email here saying "List X was
> > created with description Y".
>
> +1.
>
> If it is not automated, it will likely not be done properly as some
> people will forget about it. It ought to be easy to implement, too.

The person requesting the list will get a notification mail when the list has
been set up.

So we just need to make sure that this mail contains text that says something
like "Consider announcing the availability of your new list to the wider KDE
community by posting an introduction to kde-community at kde.org"

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring