[kde-community] FOSDEM Organisation

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 00:11:32 GMT 2014

On 12/08/2014 12:27 PM, Rick Timmis wrote:
> Bless you Sebastian
>
> You expanded my think with clarity and intelligence, thank you.

Same here. Thank you, Sebas

> I am sorry i SHOUTED, that was not necessary

Thank you Rick.

And I apologize for the harsh tone of my message.

> I agree re personal / organisational, I had not considered it from this
> point of view.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Rick

Chastened and edified by sebas's message, it's clear that various parts
of my message were ill-informed and wrong.

When KDE participates in a conference as an organization, it's important
to make sure that there's a good fit.

This is not a slippery slope...we participate as an organization in only
a few conferences. And our presence can be seen as approval of an event.
We can evaluate our participation in those conferences. They are:
FOSDEM
KDE India
Mobile World Congress
Qt Contributors Summit
Qt Developer Days (Europe, US)
LinuxTag
LAkademy
Akademy-fr
Akademy-es
US grassroots events such as LinuxFest NW, SCaLE, Texas LF, etc.
Others?

It would be a simple matter to see whether or not any particular
conference has a Code of Conduct.

More problematical...John Layt mentions "a proper Code of Conduct". It's
not clear what that means. It's difficult to assess Codes of Conduct
without agreed upon, objective criteria. If we're going to assess
conferences in order to participate as an organization, someone needs to
define "proper code of conduct".

Much more problematical...does the conference do enough to encourage
diverse participation? Over my head.

Carl