[kde-community] Make the World a Better Place! - KDE End of Year 2014 Fundraising

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Oct 22 21:56:02 BST 2014

On Wednesday 22 October 2014 21:36:41 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> today came the thought to me that we also could send this mail to all users
> that once wrote a comment in http://bugs.kde.org. There, we have lots (how
> many????) of users that at least were in touch with KDE through the bug
> tracker, and since quite a lot of bugs do get fixed, quite a lot of these
> users might even be happy users and willing to donate to KDE :-)
>
> What do you think about this? Maybe we could reach thousands of KDE users
> this way?

Hm, this does _sound_ nice, but I don't see it as ethical and it may even get
us into legal trouble. When registering with BKO, users did no give their
consent to receiving emails about anything other than bugs. If we now send
them emails asking them for donations, at least some will likely get quite
angry.

If we want to do something like that in the future, we have to give to give
users an opportunity to opt in for other messages from KDE when registering
for BKO (or when filing a bug).

Only spammers send unsolicited emails. We are not spammers.