[kde-community] Give People Access to Great Technology - a possible vision

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Mon Sep 22 20:58:15 BST 2014

On 2014-09-19 18:56, Andrew Lake wrote:
> A possible vision
> -----------------

Think this is a fine vision for computing centered around a desktop.
Unfortunately it is a model which doesn't fit how I do computing these,
and I suspect that it doesn't fit a large part of the "desktop using"
population.

Bluntly put, the desktop is that thing I briefly see before my web
browser starts up.

The applications I use the most are web applications. I read my email
via Roundcube which is served from my main 'desktop' machine. I follow a
lot of RSS feeds using Tiny Tiny RSS, another web application served via
my 'desktop' machine. Music streams through a web application too. That
plus the usual web sites and discussion forums which live in their own
tabs in Firefox. My computing time is split 3 main machines, a desktop
machine (KDE) and a laptop at home (KDE), plus the machine I use at work
(Win7, no admin). There is no one desktop for me. The only 'one' thing I
have at the center of my computing is the set of web applications I use
and the network which ties it together.

I don't think that I am alone in this. Just go have a look at what the
'normals' (=not us technologists) are doing on their 'desktop'
computers. They're doing their email in a web app. They're watching
video and movies via web apps. They're writing documents in web apps.
And of course they are using Facebook, LinkedIn etc etc, things which
have never had desktop equivalents.

Where does KDE fit into this? I don't know. But I do know that there is
a big need for software which respects the user's freedom and is truly
controlled by the user, regardless of how it is technically created or
delivered. Currently there is no KDE for the web.

Regarding our approach to "cloud services". The Cloud and the stuff that
run on it aren't just remote services which we can integrate with using
our desktop clients. These services are available everywhere and
directly usable through the browser with no installation, and most
importantly directly compete against traditional desktop apps for user's
attention. The biggest competition with the traditional desktop isn't
mobile. It is the web itself and applications it delivers.

I apologise for not having more answers.

--Simon

--
Simon Edwards
simon at simonzone.com