[kde-community] Give People Access to Great Technology - a possible vision

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Sep 20 21:59:26 BST 2014

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 10.15:56 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Friday 19 September 2014 19:04:53 Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Andrew Lake <jamboarder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Image: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/09/19/A_possible_vision.png
> >
> > I would say "Plasma and Frameworks at the center."
>
> I think it's right to put the KDE desktop in the center in addition to the
> KDE frameworks. It's Plasma and the application which are our base and
> where we are coming from. It's this whole set which gives us the
> integration points we can use to expand to cloud, to devices, to other
> services. The desktop is a great starting point.

Plasma was intended as a way to move beyond the "desktop" while retaining the
"desktop" as a first class citizen, so that paragraph contains some irony.

I use "desktop" in quotation marks because the end-user computing tasks
performed on laptops and desktop computers have been moving to non-"desktop"
form factors for some years now while the "desktop" type hardware has been
slowly adopting some hardware characteristics of non-"desktop" devices.
Fixating on "the desktop" is to bury one's head in the sand about that
reality.

Finally, the desktop has always been the primary focus. It has never not been
the starting point. (Despite Plasma's goals.)

This vision sounds like it comes from KDE circa 2005. Perhaps that's the goal,
since as Andrew wrote, "These thoughts are not intended to suggest an entirely
new direction." However, this leaves me slightly stumped as to what the goal
is here.

Is it to remind KDE what it is, because that's been forgotten?
Is it to reaffirm what KDE is as a means to pull back into its own center?

--
Aaron J. Seigo