[kde-community] Closing the kde-core-devel mailing list

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Aug 27 06:24:04 BST 2014

On Tuesday 26 August 2014 22:24:24 Eike Hein wrote:
> My 2 cents: "KDE" is a the name of a community that makes a
> whole bunch of things, chiefly among them right now:
>
> * A set of libraries/frameworks that complement Qt and help
>    with building applications and workspaces that run nicely
>    on a variety of systems (and within a variety of work-
>    spaces, in case of the applications).
>
> * A set of workspaces, taking advantage of the above.
>
> * A set of applications that integrate well with the above
>    thanks to the prowess of those frameworks, but also inte-
>    grate well with other workspaces.
>
> It follows from this that "kde-devel" (= KDE development)
> is a bad name for "discussing development of applications
> that are tightly integrated with Plasma", for two reasons:

On a blue-sky situation, yes.

My point is that the kde-devel mailing list has 15+ years of history. When k-
c-d was created and split the development of kdelibs, what remained in kde-
devel was general help about using the KDE libraries to write KDE applications
that integrated with the KDE desktop.

> So yeah, let's please not make a "write apps for Plasma"
> mailing list. It doesn't fit what KDE is today - and
> that's a good thing, because our ambitions have become
> grander and our means to accomplish them have, too.

I'm not asking we encourage that. But I am saying that:

* we need a place for discussion to happen if it happens (it will)

* no one but KDE developers will use the kde-devel mailing list

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358