[kde-community] Closing the kde-core-devel mailing list

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 26 14:28:09 BST 2014

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 13.28:54 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Precisely. The "kde-devel is the mailing list where technical/software
> development in the KDE
> community happens" is how I feel and why I think there should be a support
> mailing list for people *outside* the KDE community.

Why should we differentiate between people "in" the KDE community and people
"outside" the KDE community?

Do they have different questions (categorically) from the developers who work
on applications hosted on git.kde.org?

Should the people who offer answers to "outsiders" be different to the people
who answer "insiders"?

Is there a purpose to distancing "outsiders" from the "internal" KDE community
of developers?

I'm seriously trying to understand where you see this division between
"outside application developer" and "application developer hosted on
git.kde.org" and can't see a material difference that matters.

> Simple frameworks
> support list for random people who are not involved with KDE in any way and
> don't care about development (of any kind) inside of the community, but are
> just looking for support and possibly willing to offer support too,

Yes, that's what kde-devel is supposed to be for. If we take away the review
board email, much of the traffic is exactly that.

Currently it also gets used for a few other things, all of which belong
elsewhere. I just scanned through the last ~2 months of threads on the list
and apparently many of the people know that because the CC another, usually
more relevant, mailing list.

--
Aaron J. Seigo