[kde-community] Closing the kde-core-devel mailing list

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:28:54 BST 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Mario Fux <kde-ml at unormal.org> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 26. August 2014, 12.34:35 schrieb Martin Klapetek:
>
> Morning Martin
>
> > > We can have the "perfectly named mailing list" (whatever that means)
> but
> > > that
> > > is not going to get people using frameworks, which is at the core of
> your
> > > contention. To achieve the goal of "more people using KDE frameworks"
> > > something very different from a perfectly named mailing list is
> required.
> >
> > That's not what I implied though, I just said that I think we should
> have a
> > dedicated mailing list for frameworks users, in no way I said it will get
> > us more users. And I still think that dedicated frameworks support
> mailing
> > list would be better than general purpose kde-devel.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity - why do you think having a dedicated ML purely for
> > frameworks users would be such a bad idea?
>
> This question is not directed to me but let me try to answer anyway:
> Because
> that's exactly what kde-devel is.
>
> kde-devel is the mailing list where technical/software development in the
> KDE
> community happens. And as where mostly using kdelibs/KDE Frameworks 5 and
> Qt
> as the base for our software this is the "KDE Frameworks user list" and
> nothing else.

Precisely. The "kde-devel is the mailing list where technical/software
development in the KDE
community happens" is how I feel and why I think there should be a support
mailing list for people *outside* the KDE community. Simple frameworks
support list for random people who are not involved with KDE in any way and
don't care about development (of any kind) inside of the community, but are
just looking for support and possibly willing to offer support too,
something like frameworks-support at kde.org. If anything, it at least servers
marketing purposes ;)

Btw. looking at kde-devel archives for the month July, I counted 4
non-inside-KDE related emails out of 166 (of which most are review requests
but that was talked through before).

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer