[kde-community] Jitsi Meet installation for KDE?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Jul 18 14:36:58 BST 2014

On Sunday 06 July 2014 00:08:38 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> video conferencing seems to gain more and more importance within KDE. The
> Plasma team has their weekly "Monday Hangout", the VDG regularly video-chats
> as well, and I'm sure we're not the only ones.
> Currently, Google Hangouts are our service of choice for that. It works
> well,
> but its big problem is that it needs a proprietary browser plugin to work.
> Requiring people to install proprietary software for their involvement in a
> Free software community strikes me as... not optimal.
> While looking for a Free alternative to Hangouts, I was pointed to the
> "Jitsi
> Meet" service [1]. It's a completely Free software solution for which -
> thanks to WebRTC - users don't have to install anything. There is a demo
> site for the service [2], but of course people who use the service
> regularly are encouraged to host their own installation.
> The only caveat I found so far is that it doesn't work on Firefox yet
> (because Firefox has they are lagging behind in implementing a certain RFC
> needed for that) and not on Rekonq or Konqueror either (presumably for the
> same reason, or maybe just because they're sending the wrong user agent
> string), but it does work fine on Chromium, Chrome and Opera, one of which
> I assume most KDE contributors have installed anyway.
> Jitsi Meet has a built-in Etherpad and supports Screen-Sharing (through
> their
> own Chromium add-on).
>
> So the question is: Would it make sense for KDE to host our own Jitsi Meet
> installation so we can do our video conferences purely on our own
> infrastructure?

So to dig the thread up again: What do the others think about this? We've
tested Jitsi Meet successfully with three participants so far, it works pretty
well!

Before requesting an installation of Jitsi Meet for KDE, we'd still need to
know if it's only us who want that or other people think it would be useful,
too?
What about the Plasma team and their Monday Hangouts? Could you imagine using
Jitsi Meet instead of Google Hangouts?