[kde-community] Fundraising

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Thu Jul 17 09:50:04 BST 2014

Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2014, 10.16:43 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:

Morning

[snip]

> > +1 too, but I would in addition like to have the "Sponsor KDE..." or
> > whatever entry in the Help menu, close to nobody will find such stuff in
> > "About...".
>
> True. Note that instead of 'donate' or 'sponsor', I'd prefer to have a link
> to 'support KDE' or 'contribute to KDE', and have it go to a page about
> more than donating. Give quick links to ppl to tweet, like etc on social
> media (bit like this: http://owncloud.org/promote/ ) and a link to our
> pages on how to get involved. In short - it should be about helping out in
> general.

To be honest I don't like this idea. Don't make it to difficult to donate.
It's already finding it under "Help" -> "Donate to/sponsor KDE" -> then you'd
get a window with our donation page where you decide on the amount (with a
good default amount) of money and press the donate button.

I think it's impeding and makes it to complicate to have there a website with
a lot of text one needs to read or at least get an overview to see where one
could donate. I agree that donations and other contributions are equally
valuable but let's not make it too difficult and try to achieve everything in
one go and in the end nothing at all. Contributing (technically, translation,
promo, etc.) is a broad and longer-term thing where-as a donation is (at least
in the beginning) a quick and fast action.

Oh and I like very much the idea of Boud to add right most (RTL: left-most)
this "Donate to/sponser KDE" action/button to the tool bar of most of our
apps.

And btw I somehow plan to have a photo session or two in Randa where I'd like
to see my son and some other KDE people in front of the camera and some
tablets, touch screens or other computers to get some nice pictures for a new
donation page.

That's it from me for the moment
Mario

PS: Of course I think as well that a button/menu entry to "Contribute to KDE"
makes absolute sense but please add it alongside the "Donate button" and don't
mix it.