[kde-community] Proposal One: KDE (Core) Apps and Suites

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 11:02:38 BST 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > definition like this:
> > - Allows you to manage your files and documents (e.g. => Dolphin, Ark,
> K3b?)
> > - Allows you to view documents and pictures (e.g. => Okular and
> Gwenview) -
> > Allows you to watch movies and listen to music (e.g. => Dragon and Juk) -
> > Allows you to administrate and manage your system (e.g. => print-manager,
> > ksane, systemsettings)
> > - Allows you to do this in an accessible way*: (e.g. => Simon, Jovie and
> Co)
> > - Allows you to write some notes and find them again (e.g. =>
> Kate/Kwrite)
> >
> > * A really nice promo argument. And as we as a community are inclusive
> this
> > is the only thing the makes sense. Make our (core) apps accessible by
> > default.
> >
> > About the current modules [1] we have and released it's a very unbalanced
> > thing. Just compare KDEAdmin or KDEToys with KDEEdu or KDEPIM.
>
> There's no such think as "KDEAdmin" from a releasing point of view, we just
> release tarballs of some apps that happen to be in that "virtual" module in
> projects.kde.org, but besides that, it's just single apps.
>
> > So I think a
> > reduction and rearrangement is the best thing. About the release of these
> > Core Apps, Edu Suite, PIM Collection and Co see one of the next
> proposals.
> > These suites or groups could then decide on their own if they want
> include
> > new apps like e.g. KBibTeX or Rkward in KDEEdu or Trojita in KDEPIM.
>
> Which is what they already do, no?
>
> > But I think these core apps (or call it differently) should be very well
> > maintained, probably team maintained, have good unit and regression tests
> > and good bug triage and bug handling. Reduced to the core and let it
> shine.
>
> I don't think "team maintainance" makes much sense beyond basic bugs, I
> don't
> think I can fix a non trivial bug in Ark (fwiw i've tried [though not very
> hard] :D)
>
> > Next steps:
> > - Work on the definition for the KDE Core Apps (for Desktop).
> > - Decide on the applications that fulfill this definition.
> > - Define the minimum requirements these core apps need to fulfill to be
> > released.
> > - See what other suites or groups are logical and possible.
> > - Discuss and agree an development and review work for these core apps.
> > - Decide on a name for the "core apps".
>
> Sincerely I don't see the point of this proposal, we're already releasing
> those core apps, and yes, they need better unit tests, and they need more
> manpower, but I don't see how creating an this "Core Apps vs Suites" is
> going
> to help with these issues.
>
> Moreover I'm sure someone will be pissed off because his app is not

I think that what Mario meant here, is that we need to provide hints to the
distributions regarding what applications should be shipped with a Plasma
Desktop installation.

What we currently call Plasma Desktop is not a full desktop suite because
it lacks many applications that, arguably, are not related to Plasma but
Plasma depends on, again like Dolphin.

> Cheers,
>   Albert
>

> > Now please tell me your opinion in a short, constructive and polite way.
> > Details can be discussed in Randa and/or at Akademy. So let's
> concentrate on
> > the bigger ideas.
> >
> > Thanks and best regards
> > Mario