[kde-community] Proposal One: KDE (Core) Apps and Suites

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Apr 22 12:34:01 BST 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Mario Fux <kde-ml at unormal.org> wrote:

> Proposal:
> Reduce the amount of KDE Core Apps according to a definition and release
> the
> other apps in independent groups or suites like e.g. KDE Edu, KDE Games,
> KDE
> PIM, Amarok or the Calligra Suite.
>
> Details:
> We could decide on a group of KDE Core Apps (for the Desktop) based on a
> definition like this:
> - Allows you to manage your files and documents (e.g. => Dolphin, Ark,
> K3b?)
> - Allows you to view documents and pictures (e.g. => Okular and Gwenview)
> - Allows you to watch movies and listen to music (e.g. => Dragon and Juk)
> - Allows you to administrate and manage your system (e.g. => print-manager,
> ksane, systemsettings)
> - Allows you to do this in an accessible way*: (e.g. => Simon, Jovie and
> Co)
> - Allows you to write some notes and find them again (e.g. => Kate/Kwrite)
>
> * A really nice promo argument. And as we as a community are inclusive
> this is
> the only thing the makes sense. Make our (core) apps accessible by default.
>
> About the current modules [1] we have and released it's a very unbalanced
> thing. Just compare KDEAdmin or KDEToys with KDEEdu or KDEPIM. So I think a
> reduction and rearrangement is the best thing. About the release of these
> Core
> Apps, Edu Suite, PIM Collection and Co see one of the next proposals. These
> suites or groups could then decide on their own if they want include new
> apps
> like e.g. KBibTeX or Rkward in KDEEdu or Trojita in KDEPIM.
>
> But I think these core apps (or call it differently) should be very well
> maintained, probably team maintained, have good unit and regression tests
> and
> good bug triage and bug handling. Reduced to the core and let it shine.
>
> Next steps:
> - Work on the definition for the KDE Core Apps (for Desktop).
> - Decide on the applications that fulfill this definition.
> - Define the minimum requirements these core apps need to fulfill to be
> released.
> - See what other suites or groups are logical and possible.
> - Discuss and agree an development and review work for these core apps.
> - Decide on a name for the "core apps".
>
> Now please tell me your opinion in a short, constructive and polite way.
> Details can be discussed in Randa and/or at Akademy. So let's concentrate
> on
> the bigger ideas.
>
> Thanks and best regards
> Mario
>
> [1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde

Hi,
I think it's definitely one of the discussing areas for the next months.

To be honest, I'm a bit torn with the KDE Core Apps concept. On one hand it
makes total sense, because they're actually applications that we want to
display as they need care, but then we're not taking a stance on what's the
relation between them and Plasma. To that end, we'd need the different
maintainers to come up with a meaningful vision statement for these that
matches the new KDE organization.

With my KDE Edu hat on, I see it as things should stay mostly the same in
this regard. I would like to start to see the light in the end of the
tunnel, regarding what will releases look like once we re-base on KF5, but
there's still much work to be done in this area.

Aleix