[kde-community] Future Git Plans

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 09:17:50 GMT 2014

On Thursday 20 Feb 2014 21:40:25 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> >> I tried working with github for a project, using a workflow of reviewing
> >> each commit. I personally really disliked it for creating a merge commit
> >> for each commit, that just clutters up the history (try looking at any
> >> github project with a few contributors).
> >>
> >> Is this the same with gitlabs or can it cherry-pick after successful
> >> reviews?
> >
> > In both, github and gitlab you can have teams that have access to a
> > repository, those team members do not need any review.
> >
> > If we want to continue with our policy of "KDE hackers can commit
> > everywhere" then we just have to create a team with all of us on it.
>
> At this point in time, that policy will be continued.
> Merge Requests could be used by other developers if they wished however.
>
> In terms of whether it's automatic merge creates a history mess, this
> is unknown - it will likely come out in testing I imagine.
> It also offers information and instructions on performing the merge
> manually.

I use Github for several small projects, and I also dislike lots of small merges. I simply
perform manual merges or cherry-picks, and when I push back to Github, it almost
always notices and does the right thing: marking pull requests as merged, listing the
relevant commits on related issues, etc...

Hopefully, Gitlabs can/will do something similar.

Paul