[kde-community] Future Git Plans

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Feb 20 08:40:25 GMT 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 5:26 AM, Àlex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2014 13:45:41 Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
>> >
>> > Since most of the projects I work on are in extragear I would very much
>> > like to participate in the beta-alpha-thing testing :p
>> >
>> > Personally I have some experience with gitlab and and github workflow and
>> > would like very much to adopt it in kde.
>>
>> I tried working with github for a project, using a workflow of reviewing
>> each commit. I personally really disliked it for creating a merge commit
>> for each commit, that just clutters up the history (try looking at any
>> github project with a few contributors).
>>
>> Is this the same with gitlabs or can it cherry-pick after successful
>> reviews?
> In both, github and gitlab you can have teams that have access to a
> repository, those team members do not need any review.
>
> If we want to continue with our policy of "KDE hackers can commit everywhere"
> then we just have to create a team with all of us on it.

At this point in time, that policy will be continued.
Merge Requests could be used by other developers if they wished however.

In terms of whether it's automatic merge creates a history mess, this
is unknown - it will likely come out in testing I imagine.
It also offers information and instructions on performing the merge manually.

Thanks,
Ben