[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

Agustin benito bethencourt abenito at kde.org
Wed Feb 19 11:58:57 GMT 2014

Hi Bruno,

I am Agustín Benito Bethencourt, KDE e.V. Treasurer.

> It is important to mention that the Windows and MacOSX version are
> distributed as demo ware. These binaries have only a limited number of
> activities and the users are invited to buy an activation code through
> paypal. The activation system is very simplistic, it does not require a
> network connection and is included normally in our code. An average
> developer can understand the activation system and create valid codes. I
> have no way to know if a buyer use the code on one or more computer and
> I don't care. Even if the money I get through this is encouraging, it is
> not enough to work full time on it so I also have a day job. All the
> money is officially declared and I pay taxes to the French government (I
> live in Toulouse in France).
>
> This is an unusual practice for a free software, I took this decision to
> make sure schools, teachers, parents who choose the GNU/Linux path get
> an advantage over the ones staying on a proprietary platform. To my
> surprise, it has been very well received by users and by the free
> software developers. More than this, the duality of the project,
> commercial and community allows it to benefit from the best of both
> worlds. I won't explain you the advantage of a community behind a
> project. For the commercial part, to my surprise, I have numerous
> examples where GCompris was selected in a school _because_ they could
> buy it.

I do not have any decision power in this area and we do not have any specific
policy about what business models are ideal/desired/allowed to become part of
KDE. From this point of view I do not see any problem with your model.

I agree with you that this model is unusual. I think I understand your
reasoning behind it and I am glad to see that, from your point of view, it
works.

I must confess though that I am worry about the association between:
* proprietary platforms = commercial
* free platforms = non commercial

that might be implied from this model.

But the business models is a discussion that we need to solve within KDE.

Your example will help us (enrich) to find good practices/solutions where we
all feel comfortable and, at the same time, we can provide ways for
contributors to be successful also in the financial area.

With this in mind, I am very happy to see your request.

Saludos
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
KDE eV Treasurer