[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sun Feb 16 18:42:01 GMT 2014

Hi Kevin,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:

>> > I honestly don't see the base value that is changed here: it's Free
>> > software, etc. It would be a change in application licensing policy.
>>
>> By base value, I meant collaboration and code sharing. Apologies if I
>> had been unclear.
>
> As Aaron already said: GPLv3 is still a Free Software license. Code under that
> license can still be used for any purpose, studied and modifed, redistributed
> and improved and those improvements released.
>
> Just like earlier versions it does not make any stipulations regarding
> collaboration or code sharing. Neither it nor earlier versions require or
> prohibit an author to collaborate with others, neither it nor any earlier
> version requires or prohibits others from using the code elsewhere.
>
> Those two KDE community values are orthogonal to the license chosen for a
> particular project as long as the license does not prohibit them. Which no
> Free Software license does.

OK, currently, I do not understand how this works then apparently, so
I will trust you about this. :-)

>> If the FLA provides a reasonable solution for that,
>> I am happy with that. Are there efforts to make it even more apparent
>> in the process? Currently, I can push new code to KDE quite easily
>> without even hearing about FLA.
>
> Any why would that change?

If you meant s/Any/And/, then my concern is that it is easy to get
code into KDE without even hearing about the FLA.

For instance, do the newcomers requesting kde accounts get informed about this?

Have all the existing kde accounts received at least an email
notification about it, etc?

For instance, I do not remember, but that does not mean anything
considering my very fragmented memory. :-)

I think it would be nice to push more, but perhaps it is a topic for
another thread and day ...