[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Feb 14 12:45:31 GMT 2014

On Friday, 2014-02-14, 11:44:29, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Friday, 2014-02-14, 09:05:11, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> >> I would also like to note that making such a significant change in the
> >> base values of KDE is more than just including a new project appearing
> >> to have this license already in place.
> >
> > I honestly don't see the base value that is changed here: it's Free
> > software, etc. It would be a change in application licensing policy.
>
> By base value, I meant collaboration and code sharing. Apologies if I
> had been unclear.

As Aaron already said: GPLv3 is still a Free Software license. Code under that
license can still be used for any purpose, studied and modifed, redistributed
and improved and those improvements released.

Just like earlier versions it does not make any stipulations regarding
collaboration or code sharing. Neither it nor earlier versions require or
prohibit an author to collaborate with others, neither it nor any earlier
version requires or prohibits others from using the code elsewhere.

Those two KDE community values are orthogonal to the license chosen for a
particular project as long as the license does not prohibit them. Which no
Free Software license does.

> If the FLA provides a reasonable solution for that,
> I am happy with that. Are there efforts to make it even more apparent
> in the process? Currently, I can push new code to KDE quite easily
> without even hearing about FLA.

Any why would that change?

Cheers,
Kevin