[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Fri Feb 14 13:12:03 GMT 2014

On Friday, February 14, 2014 00:28:38 Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> Le 13/02/2014 23:17, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > On Thursday, February 13, 2014 22:54:12 Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> >> Anyway another approach is needed here for the new version.
> >
> > Knights, a chess program written with KDE libraries, has an XBoardProtocol
> > class (GPLv2+ licensed) that speaks to gnuchess. It does this over
> > stdout/stderr which isn’t awesome as you note, but it exists and could
> > perhaps be shared.
> >
> > It is part of a larger set of classes in the src/proto/ directory. The
> > classes in proto/ look fairly well self-contained (a single QObject class
> > hierarchy) so could be turned into a library with a little bit of effort.
> > Perhaps Knights and Gcompris could share this bit of code to at least
> > share the load of breakage?
> >
> > The project page for Knights is here:
> > 	https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/games/knights
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the information. Depending on an external binary proved to be
> a mess for the portability between the distro and annoying extra work on
> Windows and MacOSX. To see if GCompris works after a port all I do is
> check if the chess activity works because it is more than often broken.
>
> Now if we add the tablets into the mix, I am much more reluctant to rely
> on an external binary. An option would be to see if we cannot find and
> integrate a small chess engine. One important feature I also like to
> have is a weak chess engine that the children can beat (and myself).

I am currently working on a board game AI library for kde games. The only
thing you have to do to use it is to write a class representing a chess
position, a move generator and an evaluation function and plug it in.  (...and
wait for me to finish, which should take a month or two) [1]

Those classes should be pretty easy to get from another chess engine,
especially if weakness is more important than strength. :)

Btw, this is KDE and we love plugins.  Do you have a plugin API for GCompris?
If not, that would even make it possible for 3rd parties to create
activites...

	-Inge

[1] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fingwa%2Flibkdeai.git