[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Thu Feb 13 23:28:38 GMT 2014

Le 13/02/2014 23:17, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Thursday, February 13, 2014 22:54:12 Bruno Coudoin wrote:
>> Anyway another approach is needed here for the new version.
> Knights, a chess program written with KDE libraries, has an XBoardProtocol
> class (GPLv2+ licensed) that speaks to gnuchess. It does this over
> stdout/stderr which isn’t awesome as you note, but it exists and could perhaps
> be shared.
>
> It is part of a larger set of classes in the src/proto/ directory. The classes
> in proto/ look fairly well self-contained (a single QObject class hierarchy)
> so could be turned into a library with a little bit of effort. Perhaps Knights
> and Gcompris could share this bit of code to at least share the load of
> breakage?
>
> The project page for Knights is here:
>
> 	https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/games/knights

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Depending on an external binary proved to be
a mess for the portability between the distro and annoying extra work on
Windows and MacOSX. To see if GCompris works after a port all I do is
check if the chess activity works because it is more than often broken.

Now if we add the tablets into the mix, I am much more reluctant to rely
on an external binary. An option would be to see if we cannot find and
integrate a small chess engine. One important feature I also like to
have is a weak chess engine that the children can beat (and myself).

We have the same issue with the electricity activity which relies on
gnucap but it proved more stable over time.

Bruno.