[kde-community] Windows licenses

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Jan 24 20:01:01 GMT 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Patrick von Reth <patrick at von-reth.de> wrote:
> In my experience it is no problem having mingw and msvc setup on one system,
> you probably don't want to compile with both all the time but the system
> will handle it quite fine

Unfortunately Stack Overflow and the Windows forum are full of
interoperability issues.

Sounds good that you had no issues though. I am envy. :-)

> For pacman: pacman is as far as I know only part of msys2 , and quite useful
> there to install dev tools etc, but it is of no use for us, as we don't want
> users to install msys to install kde.

Yes, but we do not want end users to install emerge, etc, either. :-)

In other words: it can be managed without ithese helper softwares n my opinion.

>  and we don't want to develop stuff inside of msys.

I am personally very much interested in getting that workflow forward.
I think it could be nice to get everything done properly for KDE
development. Consider that the KDE Arch developer nicely built up
frameworks development packages.

I think it would cool to get them ported over and share some work with
a Linux distribution in that sense. Please do not get me wrong. I am
not saying emerge would not remain useful. It is all about personal
choice I guess. :)

PS.: I should have probably continued with this email on the
kde-windows mailing list though, as it is getting a bit too
technical... So pardon me.