[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Mon Jan 20 17:29:16 GMT 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:10:06AM +0100, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> namely duplication of effort and inconsistency due to multiple
> implementations of what is from a use case perspective the same thing.

This would be all well and good if it wasn't for the gross regressions it
would suffer.

You argued the exact same thing for the screen locker. But what you're
arguing is a kind of false dichtomy. You would think that instead of two
half-assed solutions we would get a single superior implementation, but
instead we get a single inferior one.

> For things like kcalc, the things the desktop components are not good at are
> irrelevant; the things it *is* good at could radically improve its UI.

The thing I'm unable to discern is how it would radically improve its UI.

The current kcalc UI is very good, I often use it for stuff like bit
fiddling, etc. I can't say the same thing for the calculator plasma applet.
But please feel free to prove me wrong and make the plasma calculator much
better than kcalc. But I'd argue very strongly to not replace kcalc until the
replacement is visibly better.

The obvious downsides things being replaced would suffer from, thanks to the
immature state of the desktop components, and not including the previously
mentioned obviously broken components; dreadful performance, no proper
accelerator management, no form layouts, and poor QStyle support (both Oxygen
and QtCurve has worked around some of them now, though, but I doubt it will
be good for a long, long while).

And I'm not alone in believing this (others have used the desktop components
more than me), but I don't want to drag others into this discussion.

--
Maritn Sandsmark