[kde-community] KDE Essential Applications - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jan 17 16:45:42 GMT 2014

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 22:24:09 Marco Martin wrote:
> they are both desiderable, but they seems quite in contrast each other.
> I'm sure I'm hitting a false dichotomy there, but not seeing a clear
> solution. does anybody does?

there are (at least) two ways to approach the “integrated workflow” goal:

* tie everything together by using a common implementation (the ‘shared
library’ approach, if you will)

* define patterns that developers implement in their applications (the ‘human
interface guidelines’ approach)

we can do both at the same time: Plasma can create a tightly integrated
workflow for the components under the Plasma umbrella, and KDE applications can
take advantage of the defined patterns. this can be made easier by utilizing
runtime interfaces that provide a contact surface to the desktop shell and
other applications.

this is what kparts and dcop were designed around in their day, if one thinks
about it from that perspective.

these integrated workflows could be seen as the next iteration of this
philosophy in our design.

--
Aaron J. Seigo