[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 10:58:24 GMT 2014

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:28:02 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Thursday 16 January 2014 10:43:42 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 22:56:12 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Dimecres, 15 de gener de 2014, a les 21:47:17, John Layt va escriure:

> Aaron, please assume good intentions.

Good intentions are assumed; good intentions are not mutually exclusive to
being insulting or repeating things that are factually wrong about other
projects within the community.

> We all know Albert and we all know
> that his writing reads more harsh than he intents to.

Fine; I didn’t want what I wrote to be harsh or come across as assuming bad
intentions and claim the same clemency.

> I do not see any of your conclusions in his writing.

Given how many times this “forcing plasmoids down my throat” meme has come up,
and the literal meaning of that phrase as written (”don’t force this on us” ->
“this is something undesirable, and i fear people exist who will force that
undesirable thing on us”), I’d like to ask that you offer similar levels of
understanding you grant to Albert to what I wrote.

>Let’s  stay positive in this discussion. If
> we start to fight with each other we won't find a solution.

Sorry, I’ve stopped quietly taking poor behavior from others and accepting the
double standards applied to people depending on who they are. I have no desire
to fight anyone, but I have made a decision to stop quietly taking this kind of
treatment from people in KDE. I expect the same sort of treatment shown to me
that others in the community expect for themselves.

It is very disheartening that you come to Albert’s defense and lecture the
person who says “This makes me feel uncomfortable ..” but that is sadly
exactly what I’ve come to expect. If I had written to Albert what he wrote to
me, I have zero doubt that the response would be the exact opposite: I would
be told to be nicer to Albert and if Albert said it made him feel
uncomfortable and that I was speaking from ignorance on the  matter people
would use that as evidence as to why I should be nicer.

Fine double standard we have there.

> Technically I agree with Albert's concern that Plasmoids as app replacements
> might not be a good idea.

.. but not for the reason he offered. I also noted this in my email, of course,
so it should be clear that for technical reasons I also agree with Albert’s
concern.

--
Aaron J. Seigo