[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 10:35:29 GMT 2014

Hey,

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:43:42 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Why would i want a calculator
> > as a plasmoid instead of an application? So that i need to minimize all my
> > other apps to see the desktop to see it instead of just alt-tabbing?
>
> What’s worse than insulting another person is doing so from ignorance.

I think this is really not the way we should discuss things. Accusing Albert
of insulting anybody is not necessary, accusing him of doing it out of
ignorance is clearly against our code of conduct. There are very good reasons
to respect the CoC much better, especially when it comes to discussions around
Plasma, we *need* to do better here. This discussion will not lead anywhere if
we start out with negative assumption about anyone's intentions.

As to the topic, I think both have their use-cases, and their not mutually
exclusive either. It seems to me like it's easy enough to find a distribution
model that satisfies both, the "tools as separate windows" faction, and the
"tools as part of the workspace faction".

sebas