[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 09:43:14 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 22:56:12 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimecres, 15 de gener de 2014, a les 21:47:17, John Layt va escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > * Do we need small utilities like KCalc as stand-alone apps, or do
> > they belong in Workspaces, perhaps as Plasmoids?  Where do we draw the
> > line between them?  And if there's both a Plasmoid and an App for
> > something, which goes in the main release?
>
> Please don't force plasmoids down my throat. Why would i want a calculator
> as a plasmoid instead of an application? So that i need to minimize all my
> other apps to see the desktop to see it instead of just alt-tabbing?

Especially with KCalc I'd be very very very conservative of removing it in
favour of some (potentially less capable) plasmoid.

I know for a fact that KCalc is widely used, and there was a discussion about
it some in 2007:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/release-team@kde.org/msg01065.html
The bottom line is: KCalc is needed, most probably in the current form.

Greetings,
Dominik