[kde-community] KDE Essential Applications - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Jan 15 22:13:11 GMT 2014

El Dimecres, 15 de gener de 2014, a les 21:47:17, John Layt va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I'd propose a
> new collection of apps called KDE Essential Applications.  This would
> be a collection of high-quality applications that are considered
> essential to a modern user experience and that the KDE community as a
> whole guarantees to maintain to the highest standards.  These would be
> apps like Kate, Dolphin, Gwenview, Okular, Konsole, Ktp, etc, those
> tools that you need to use every day and want to work well.  Distros
> and users would then know that this is a group that they need to
> always install
I feel this would create tension, who's going to be the one that says to
someone "Sorry but your app is not good enough" and how is that person going
to feel about it?

Besides how would you define this "KDE Essential Applications" group? I mean a
tarball? An XML file somewhere? Personally I find distros should be smart
enough to decide which apps they want to ship by default and which not.

> with the other apps in the common release cycle being
> optional but still of decent quality.  Rather than these apps being
> maintained separately inside their old module communities, they would
> be organised into a new community that takes a shared responsibility
> for ensuring they are maintained to the highest level with a
> consistent user experience.
Isn't that community the thing we call KDE?

Cheers,
  Albert