[kde-community] Translating the KDE manifesto

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Dec 19 20:49:10 GMT 2013

On Thursday 19 December 2013 20:05:38 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dijous, 19 de desembre de 2013, a les 09:05:22, Martin Graesslin va
>
> escriure:
> > On Wednesday 18 December 2013 23:50:03 Eike Hein wrote:
> > > Translations are always a bit 'risky' of course but I
> > > think in the spirit of inclusiveness and internationality
> > > they're a great idea.
> >
> > I'm very unsure whether translation is a good idea at all. It's too easy
> > change the meaning and just think about how carefully we worded everything
> > to make the meaning quite clear. It's possible that a certain wording will
> > get a different meaning in another language just because it's not possible
> > to translate correctly.
> >
> > So overall from me a -1 for translations. If we want to do translations it
> > has to be clear, that:
> > * it's a translation which is not binding. The English version of the
> > manifesto matters
> > * we have very strong requirements on who is allowed to translate and a
> > very strict peer review process for the translated document.
>
> Any reason why the manifesto translations should be more strict than say the
> 4.12 announcement?
I cannot judge the quality of the translations, given that the release
announcements are not translated to any language I speak. But just a small
point for the quality of translations: all German IT channels reported that
4.11 is the "last" release, because we wrote "latest" which is very close to
"letzte" (German for last).

Cheers
Martin