[kde-community] Translating the KDE manifesto

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Dec 19 11:59:37 GMT 2013

On Thursday 19 December 2013 09.05.22 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 December 2013 23:50:03 Eike Hein wrote:
> > Translations are always a bit 'risky' of course but I
> > think in the spirit of inclusiveness and internationality
> > they're a great idea.
>
> I'm very unsure whether translation is a good idea at all. It's too easy
> to  change the meaning and just think about how carefully we worded
> everything to make the meaning quite clear.

You have a good point.
I have a counter point;
many people find it hard to read structured documents, its double hard in a
language that is not their native language.  So even if the wording is not
100% correct, for a large section of people I am confident it will actually
increase understanding.

Also notice that kde-members are not the only audience, a chinese unix-user
group may want to steal sections from our hard work on that document. And I
personally think thats a fantastic thing to happen.  But it would likely
work much better if the document was translated.

--
Thomas Zander