[kde-community] Translating the KDE manifesto

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Dec 19 08:52:20 GMT 2013

> I'm very unsure whether translation is a good idea at all. It's too easy to
> change the meaning and just think about how carefully we worded everything
> to make the meaning quite clear. It's possible that a certain wording will
> get a different meaning in another language just because it's not possible
> to translate correctly.

Its not that the manifesto is a legal binding document for it to need
translations that have the super-careful wording.

One thing that we could do, is to follow the Creative Commons principle of
having official (verified by local and CC lawyers) and unofficial translations
(that desire to become official at some point).

For translations, we'll need manifesto versioning - as it is very likely that
changing the manifesto will not trigger translations to be updated.

Cheers,
Ivan

--
I don't really trust a sane person.