[kde-community] Translating the KDE manifesto

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Dec 19 08:05:22 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 18 December 2013 23:50:03 Eike Hein wrote:
> Translations are always a bit 'risky' of course but I
> think in the spirit of inclusiveness and internationality
> they're a great idea.
I'm very unsure whether translation is a good idea at all. It's too easy to
change the meaning and just think about how carefully we worded everything to
make the meaning quite clear. It's possible that a certain wording will get a
different meaning in another language just because it's not possible to
translate correctly.

So overall from me a -1 for translations. If we want to do translations it has
to be clear, that:
* it's a translation which is not binding. The English version of the
manifesto matters
* we have very strong requirements on who is allowed to translate and a very
strict peer review process for the translated document.

> I'd volunteer to work on a German translation over the
> holidays unless anyone else has a stronger urge. This
> kind of thing needs careful peer-review of course but I
> have a feeling we can scrounge up some other Germans in
> the KDE ranks :).
I volunteer to review a German translation.

Cheers
Martin