[kde-community] Kubuntu documentation

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Dec 14 14:50:19 GMT 2013

On Saturday 14 December 2013 13:02:58 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > Just that this "source code" will be distribution specific.
> >
> > where's the difference to
> > https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/sysadmin/muon
>
> Muon is technically not Ubuntu specific afaik.
in theory yes, in practice it doesn't compile on Debian (testing) and is not
packaged :-(

> > or all the *suse
> > branches in svn/work?
>
> Good question, otoh they predate the time were we add a Manifesto that
> helped us make these kind of decisions.
Yes it was before the manifesto, but I think we always encouraged distros to
work upstream.
> Nope. I was just a bit hesitant about using our wikis just as a dumping
> ground for stuff that would only end up in docs.kubuntu.org and on the
> kubuntu ISO.
>
> But as I said if you read my emails, I'm not vetoing it, I am not sure even
> if I'm opossed, I just want the people that will take the decision to think
> about it.
my suggestion is that distros should be allowed to host their documentation on
our infrastructure under two conditions:

1. it needs to be integrated with the existing documentation (we don't need a
KWin general, a KWin Kubuntu and a KWin Arch wiki page)
2. it needs to be generic

If that is the case I don't see any conflict with the manifesto as it's just
some further upstream work the distros can use - all of them, not just one.

Cheers
Martin