[kde-community] Discussion: KDE Manifesto, "established practices"

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 18 16:31:50 GMT 2013

I have a more complete response to this email elsewhere, but this is important
enough to warrant its own short email:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 00:46:12 Peter Grasch wrote:
> Just for the record: I never said that the actual practices should be
> documented in the manifesto but that imo there should be references to
> the full text of what people are committing to.

What people are committing to is following practices established by the
community.

It is a commitment is to community consensus.

It is not commitment to a specifically enumerated list of things. That list,
even if fully enumerated today, will change in the years to come. Due to the
process of community consensus, what you commit to today will not be the same
as what you commit to in 5 years. What you commit to today is not the same as
what you would have committed to 5 years ago, either.

Ergo it is not an issue of agreeing to a specific body of policy, but of
respecting the results of community consensus which happen to manifest in the
form of documented practices.

If people really feel the name, the “established practices” could link to:

	http://techbase.kde.org/Policies

This would be much like how the CoC is linked to rather than included in the
Manifesto. The language on the Policies page would need adjustment and the
list of links would need updating.

--
Aaron J. Seigo