[kde-community] Proposal: KDE Manifesto wording revision

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 11 09:29:07 GMT 2013

On Monday, November 11, 2013 09:16:24 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2013-11-11, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:
> > Could you please explain to those that don't immediately spot it how the
> > before and after are functionally different?
> That it opens up for several groups of contributors, KDE contributors and
> other people. I do also think that it is important that KDE projects has
> KDE contributors as their only citizens, so that there isn't some being
> second class citizen.

this last sentence is self-contradictory, not to mention tautological.

contradiction: if a KDE project only has KDE contributors as their “citizens”,
then everyone who is not a KDE contributors is by definition a second-class
citizen (if at all)

tautology: a KDE contributor is someone who is a “citizen” of a KDE project.
this makes the sentence equivalent to “it is important that KDE projects have
KDE contributors as their only KDE contributors” or “it is important that KDE
projects have their citizens as their only citizens”

i’ll also point out that we already have a tiered system: maintainers.

if those of you concerned about multiple tiers of “citizens” could enumerate
the exact and specific concerns, such as what a “second class citizen” might
look like, then we can check both those assumptions and the language to ensure
that this is covered appropriately.

my suspicion is that if there is a valid concern here, it belongs in the
definition of what a KDE contributor account is, not how those accounts apply
to an individual project.

--
Aaron J. Seigo