[kde-community] Proposal: KDE Manifesto wording revision

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 20:46:41 GMT 2013

On Sunday 10 November 2013 18:28:58 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> That's what this email is about, I'd like to apply the attached patch,
> it's mostly about small scale changes. I don't see anything which
> could be controversial in there.
>
> Any opinions on this? I'd like to collect feedback before proceeding
> with a vote of the e.V. membership and then a push.

It's really a minor point, but I don't understand the change of

* Stand on the shoulders of giants

* To stand on the shoulders of giants

Why does this phrase now begin with "To"+verb when all other phrases
(still) start with a verb without leading "To"?

IMHO the leading "To" makes the phrase sound less personal. When I read
the other phrases I mentally add a "You" or a "You can", as in "You can
make use of KDE infrastructure [...]", "You benefit from [...]", "You
get support from [...]", etc. The leading "To" prevents this.

Other than that the changes look good.

Regards,
Ingo