[kde-community] Repeating concers regarding the KDE Free Qt Foundation

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Aug 28 21:10:44 BST 2013

El Dimecres, 28 d'agost de 2013, a les 21:13:04, Jaroslaw Staniek va escriure:
> Hi,
> By accident or not, very the same week I noticed concerns (probably
> from the other camp) on reddit [1] and phoronix [2] about the KDE Free
> Qt Foundation. If I understood what these comments about 'killing
> freedom' mean (after removing some trolling layers) more or less they
> relate to:
>
> - Exclusiveness of the Qt Free Edition for X11 (so what about mobile
> Qt? Casual reader would think there are separate codebases for
> different Qt targets)

That is almost correct, reading documents from
http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php i find
http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/images/nokia-agreement-2.jpg mentions
the "KDE Window system" as X11 or its successor as determined by 75% of the
board, so Wayland should not be very hard to get covered. And then defines
"Qt" as "Qt for the KDE Window System", and also explicitely says "this
definition of Qt does not cover windows, mac, symbian" in
http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/images/nokia-agreement-3.jpg

How would that work technically if it ended happening? I have no clue, i guess
all the other QPAs that are non X11 would remain LGPL?

> - Exclusiveness of the protection to KDE (may be a misconception that
> the foundation equals KDE? BSD or other licenses are not KDE-exclusive
> otherwise wouldn't be approved by OSI)

I don't understand this second concern, what is "Exclusiveness of the
protection to KDE" supposed to mean?

Cheers,
  Albert