[kde-community] Repeating concers regarding the KDE Free Qt Foundation

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Wed Aug 28 21:05:01 BST 2013

On 2013-08-28, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:
> - Exclusiveness of the Qt Free Edition for X11 (so what about mobile
> Qt? Casual reader would think there are separate codebases for
> different Qt targets)

It is exclusive to X11 *and* successors to X11. that includes at least
wayland.
True. it doesn't cover Qt-on-framebuffer or Qt-on-windows. But luckily
with the new architechture (QPA/lighthouse), rewriting that layer
becomes much easier should anyone not be satisfied with a LGPL plugin.

> - Exclusiveness of the protection to KDE (may be a misconception that
> the foundation equals KDE? BSD or other licenses are not KDE-exclusive
> otherwise wouldn't be approved by OSI)

The protection is not specific to KDE, but it is KDE eV, the legal
entity behind KDE projects, that as the still largest free software
community using Qt has the capability to actually execute it.

On a sidenote, wether or not BSD is more or less free than the LGPL is a
more philosophical point, and I can argue in both directions and have a
personal preference.

> I'd like to ask about comments, explanation, especially that these
> comments stay not answered.

Feel free to cite me, but I've no plans to participating in the debate
on those sites.

/Sune