[kde-community] Why were there no talks about Ubuntu Mobile at Akademy?

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Aug 20 22:02:20 BST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> I did not read your email as a question but as a statement, hence my non
> answer, but if you want one from me, here's my take.
>
> Yes, KDE Frameworks is very interesting. But it's still not done and Canonical
> is going to ship a version of the Ubuntu Touch software by october, so it's
> just not aligned in time properly.
>
> Same applies for [almost] every other tech we have in KDE, it's either qt4
> only or qt4+qt5 with the qt5 version being alpha/beta.
>
> This makes it very hard for Canonical to use any of those technologies since
> the Ubuntu Touch platform is Qt5 based.
>
> So basically answering your "how can we help you guys?" question, I think the
> first step is having stuff Canonical can use. After this happens,
> you/we/someone can start "selling stuff".
>
> Of course you can argue that Canonical could help in the development of those
> Qt5 ports, but as I said, there's a release to be done in October so doesn't
> make much sense to focus on things that are not release critical.

I actually use some KF5 stuff in 'production' at Atlassian already
(Sonnet, knotifications, kidletime, kwindowsystem). I don't think
release schedules are really a issue if you find something in KF5
useful.

Qt4 <-> Qt5 isn't much of an issue, you can't even call it a port to
build a Qt 4 app on Qt 5. But in Canonical's case the difference
between QtWidget/QtDeclarative and QtQuick2 is an issue I'm guessing.

Since Canonical's schedule is ahead of KDE's (when it comes to
releasing a Qt 5 platform) I wonder if there isn't anything Canonical
is doing that would find a useful home in KF5.

Ian