[kde-community] Tupi: Open 2D Magic

Gustav González xtingray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 18:35:48 BST 2013

 2013/6/24 Andreas Cord-Landwehr <cordlandwehr at kde.org>

> **
>
> On Monday 24 June 2013 11:08:34 Gustav González wrote:
>
> > 2013/6/24 Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>
>

> > > This is a question of who owns the copyright, which depends on the
>
> > > employment contract that Toonka had with its employees. If you want to
>
> > > switch back to GPLv2 in order to join KDE, though, I don't think you
> need
>
> > > to do anything, since the code was GPLv2 before anyway, right?
>

> With a quick glance at the KTooN codebase, I made the following
> observation:
>

> The KTooN commits from 2010-05-15 11:48 and 11:49 with message "Updating
> license version from source code -> GPL 3" changed the license from "GPL v2
> or any later version" to "GPL v3 or any later version".
>

> (Please correct me if I am wrong, the commits change about 1000 lines and
> I did not check every change!)
>

> From my POV you have two options. Both include first asking _every_
> commiter following up the license change commits in a documented way if
> they allow changing the license to "GPL v2 or any later version". After you
> received their approvals you can:
>

> Either
>
> * revert the two license change commits
>
> * do a rebase of all following commits
>
> * change newly introduced licenses
>

> Or
>
> * revert the license change commits and perform relicensing at once.
>

> I see no need to contact Monica about that issue, since all approvals that
> are necessary for doing the relicensing are from individual commiters (who
> commited after the relicense in 2010, as far as I understood).
>

> Greetings,
>
> Andreas

Hello there,

It seems you are right, yesterday I was talking to a friend who has a wide
knowledge of the GPL licenses and he told me
the same. I just need the approval from all the developers who made
contributions between the moment I changed the license
of Tupi from GPL v2 to v3 and the present.

If you take a look at the old KTooN repository, you will find out that the
only user who made commits to the project from 2010,
even before the change of license, was me (xtingray):

http://svn.berlios.de/viewvc/ktoon/

About the repository of Tupi, you will be able to confirm that only
Cristian Cepeda (he helped me to fix some .pro files
to make possible the compilation of Tupi in OSX) and me were working on the
code:

https://github.com/xtingray/tupi/commits/master?page=20

About Cristian, I already contacted him and this was his answer: