[kde-community] Tupi: Open 2D Magic

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Mon Jun 24 18:04:00 BST 2013

On Monday 24 June 2013 11:08:34 Gustav González wrote:
> 2013/6/24 Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>
>
> > This is a question of who owns the copyright, which depends on the
> > employment contract that Toonka had with its employees.  If you want
> > switch back to GPLv2 in order to join KDE, though, I don't think you
need
> > to do anything, since the code was GPLv2 before anyway, right?

With a quick glance at the KTooN codebase, I made the following
observation:

The KTooN commits from 2010-05-15 11:48 and 11:49 with message
"Updating license version from source code -> GPL 3" changed the license
from "GPL v2 or any later version" to "GPL v3 or any later version".

(Please correct me if I am wrong, the commits change about 1000 lines
and I did not check every change!)

>From my POV you have two options. Both include first asking _every_
commiter following up the license change commits in a documented way if
they allow changing the license to "GPL v2 or any later version". After you
received their approvals you can:

Either
* revert the two license change commits
* do a rebase of all following commits
* change newly introduced licenses

Or
* revert the license change commits and perform relicensing at once.

I see no need to contact Monica about that issue, since all approvals that
are necessary for doing the relicensing are from individual commiters (who
commited after the relicense in 2010, as far as I understood).

Greetings,
Andreas