D15070: Bindings: Query the install directory from python

Ben Cooksley noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 1 01:03:06 BST 2018

bcooksley added a comment.

  We could, however that would not help people installing it as a regular user, rather than as root.
  If I run this right now, as an unprivileged user, I get the following path returned:

    >>> sysconfig.get_python_lib( plat_specific=True,standard_lib=False )
    '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages'

  This will break installation for those doing development installations.

  If instead the code were to take CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX into account (which it should) then we get a valid result:

    >>> sysconfig.get_python_lib( plat_specific=True,standard_lib=False, prefix="/some/path" )

    Note: i'm aware of ~/.local/ and virtualenv's, however those not working on Python bindings may just prefer to set PYTHONPATH much like they already set PATH - especially if they have multiple installations they switch between (different Frameworks versions for instance).
    '/some/path/lib/python2.7/site-packages'

  Note that it's up to the user to set PYTHONPATH properly if they're installing outside the usual directories searched by Python.

REPOSITORY
  R240 Extra CMake Modules

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D15070