ECM uninstall target

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Thu Mar 20 11:20:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Alex Merry <alex.merry at kde.org> wrote:
> On 13/03/14 11:40, Aleix Pol wrote:
>> I think he means uninstalling projects based on ECM.
>>
>> Personally, I've missed it too. You can hack it around by "cat
>> install_manifest.txt | xargs rm", but a proper solution like we have in
>> KDE4 is missing.
>
> Oh, I see, sorry.  If there is demand for it, it seems perfectly
> reasonable to provide a module that implements
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Can_I_do_.22make_uninstall.22_with_CMake.3F
> (this is what kdelibs4 did).  Note that the effect is identical to
> passing the contents of install_manifest.txt to rm.
>
> What would be nice would be to also provide a way to execute arbitrary
> commands on uninstall, similar to install(CODE).

Ah yes, sorry, I meant an uninstall target for all ECM projects.

While it may be identical to catting stuff around, uninstall is still
the somewhat uniform way of expressing a revert of install. To that
extent I do also agree that one probably should be able to execute
commands on uninstall, exactly because sometimes install does not only
actually install a file somewhere.

Eitherway, as a user I expect make uninstall to uninstall, cmake or not :P
As a developer I still expect make uninstall to uninstall ;)

HS