C standard

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 28 21:27:29 UTC 2014

On terça-feira, 28 de janeiro de 2014 19:44:49, Alex Merry wrote:
> On 28/01/14 19:13, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On terça-feira, 28 de janeiro de 2014 17:03:31, Alex Merry wrote:
> >> Bear in mind that our minimum GCC version (4.2) does not completely
> >> support this standard.
> >
> > Since Qt requires 4.4/4.5 (except for OS X), how come KDE can have a
> > minimum of 4.2?
>
> I imagine it was set before Qt's requirement was raised (which may have
> been before depending on Qt 5).
>
> Is Qt's minimum compiler version documented anywhere?  I can find a list
> of supported compilers for Windows at [0], but [1] has no corresponding
> list for Linux, and even skimming the configure script is unenlightening.

We don't outlaw old compilers. It should be documented on the supported
platforms page, though...

We tell everyone that 4.5 is the minimum we'll support. Everything else we'll
just close the bug reports and ask for non-intrusive patches.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358