Review Request 114897: Make KDE_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS a list

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Tue Jan 7 22:59:22 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 22:34, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alex Merry wrote:

>>> Please tell me you noticed that I asked about -U, not -D ...
>>
>> Yes.  qmake actually doesn't use -U directly;
>
> Right. So the -U, at least, is not "what qmake does".

No, but the effect should be the same.

>> I'm not certain what the "right" thing to do here is.  Arguably, we
>> should always set -DQT_NO_EXCEPTIONS (at least for frameworks) so that
>> we can be sure they build when Qt has exceptions disabled.
>
> Are you sure?

No.

>> Either way, I'm really not convinced qmake does the right thing, as I
>> think QT_NO_EXCEPTIONS should really be defined if and only if the Qt
>> library itself was compiled with exceptions disabled.
>
> That information can be conveyed from the Qt CMake config files if needed,
> or an installed header file if that's how the Qt list wants to do it. No
> problem.

I'm inclined to say we should not touch QT_NO_EXCEPTIONS at all (which
makes it undefined by default except on GCC with -fno-exceptions, where
I believe it should get set in qglobal.h), and maybe push for a
discussion in the Qt Project about whether it should be set to match how
Qt was built (in qmake and Qt5CoreConfig.cmake, or in an installed
header file).