KDEInstallDirs variables

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Tue Dec 9 18:51:55 UTC 2014

On Monday 08 December 2014 23:58:25 Alex Merry wrote:
> I think the right plan is to:
> * port KF5 to use CMAKE_INSTALL_* variables
> * warn about using the old variables on the command line
> * when KF6 and/or e-c-m 2.0 happens (whether or not those happen in sync),
> ** ditch the old variable names
> ** use a KDE_INSTALL_* prefix for all variables
> ** keep the CMAKE_INSTALL_* versions of the variables, but deprecate their
> use in CMakeLists files, and deprecate the use of any that aren't in
> GNUInstallDirs on the command line

Actually, having thought about it a bit more (that's what my commute to work's
for, right?):

* add KDE_INSTALL_* variables, and document them as the recommended
* port KF5 (and the KF5 CMake porting scripts) to use them
* warn about using the old variables (other than the CMAKE_INSTALL_* ones that
are in GNUInstallDirs) on the command line
* provide a handy way of disabling the deprecated variables (define
KDE_INSTALL_DIRS_NO_DEPRECATED=TRUE before including)
* when KF6 and/or e-c-m 2.0 happens, ditch the deprecated variables, leaving
us with only KDE_INSTALL_* variables plus the variables defined in
GNUInstallDirs (possibly with an option for disabling the GNUInstallDirs
compatibility)